Today we announce that the new Myaamiaataweenki dictionary is going live as both a new app and a new website! The app can be found on the app store or google play by searching “ILDADictionary” and the web version can be found at https://mc.miamioh.edu/ilda-myaamia/dictionary. In the next month, we will be discontinuing the old app, known as “myaamiaatawaakani,” as well as the website, allowing this one to take its place for all future dictionary related work. One of the first steps needed when you download the app is to go into your phone’s settings and select “Myaamia-Peewaalia” as your language of choice (iOS instructions or Android instructions). This step is necessary because the app has been designed to work with different Indigenous languages.
As we switch to this new app I just want to give a few reminders about how to search and understand the results you get:
- The search function takes time to get used to and does not guess what you are thinking as you search (unlike Google), it is basing its results strictly on your spelling and the closest matches
- If your result does not pop up at all, try using a different word that means the same thing or switch your sentence around to see if that gives better results. (example: “turn the light on” vs. “turn on the light”)
- If you end up with a long list of results but the first few don’t seem to match what you are looking for, try scrolling down the list, your result may pop up further down.
- If you absolutely cannot find what you are looking for, request it in the “feedback” section on the first page of the app.
In the coming weeks we will be providing a video tutorial for how to use the dictionary so be on the lookout for that. We will also be regularly updating the app by refining the search function and adding more content so keep using it and if you notice anything wrong or if you would like a word added just submit the comments to the feedback section and it will go directly to me!
Instructions for iOS:
- Search “ILDADictionary” and download the app
- Go into your iPhone settings, scroll down and select ILDA Dictionary
- Under “group” select “instance”
- Then select “Myaamia-Peewaalia” as your language
- Close your app and then reopen it.
- Your app is ready!
Instructions for Android:
- Search “ILDA Dictionary” and download the app
- Open the app and select the icon made up of three squares on the top right corner of the screen
- Select “Settings” and press on “Select Instance”
- Then select “Myaamia” as your language
- Go back to the home screen of the app. The title will now read “Myaamia Dictionary”
- Your app is ready!